Just That Nifty
Back in February, I was approached on Facebook to sew for an up and coming new fabric group. I was all, "Yeah, I just had a baby, I'm swamped, so thanks, but no thanks." But then. But then. The smart girls who DID say yes, started showing off their pictures and I was so stinkin' jealous. The fabric was absolutely gorgeous. And so, I swallowed my pride and went back to the fabric host. I told her that I was amazed at what she'd been doing, and I'd love to sew for her, whenever she'd have me.
Lucky me, she had some extras with my name on them!
What I love about Just That Nifty is that they're using real artwork, painted on paper or canvas to create their prints. The goal is to bring high-fashion, runway looks to the everyday sewist. Plus, they're working collaboratively with two college students to create these stunning designs. I'm so impressed with what they're doing, and this is definitely a brand I want to stand with . . . so I'm glad she took me back, haha!
So, since this fabric is so gorgeous, I have to say, the pressure was on to create some pieces to live up to it.
First up, the George + Ginger RuLo.
I finished these projects a couple weeks ago when we were still getting snow in Wisconsin. Today, I'm sitting in a romper, enjoying 70 degrees, sunshine, and watching the ice melt on the lake, so don't worry, I don't have snowflakes flying anymore!
This is the tunic length RuLo. I just used the top tier of the sleeves from the three tier option, to create this 3/4 length sleeve.
Both cuts I recieved were bamboo Lycra. It is SO soft and so flowy. The drape is GREAT and it's mega comfy. You really can't say enough good things about bamboo Lycra.
The applique is from Fab Clique, and I think it's a great touch! Just use basting spray to stick that baby one, and then sew around it.
This fabric is called Sparks! She also redesigned the artwork into a 2.0 version (that I'm pretty sure I have to buy as well). The other fabric I got to sew up is called Koi Pond. . .
Pretty, right?! I love, love, love the colors in this fabric! I requested Sparks, but Keanna said she wanted to send me Koi Pond because she thought the coloring would be good for me . . . I never consider stuff like that, but I think she was right!
The pattern I used was the Elise peplum and dress from Halla. It's a cross over bodice, which was super easy to hack into this tie front instead (you can see what the original pattern looks like here). I had soooo many tie-front dresses on my Pinterest, and I wanted to try one for myself. I like that it shows a little skin, but you're not baring everything.
It was suuuuper easy to finagle the cross bodice dress into the tie. I'm not a pattern designer, but I'll do my best to give you some guidance, haha. I used the cutlines for the tabbed version (the curved lines at the bottom of the bodice as opposed to the straight across line), because it gives you a little extra fabric, which I wanted to have to make it easier to tie.
I lined the front and back bodice pieces. This gave me the finished edges around the whole neckline. Taking that into account, I folded the front piece like this when I cut the front bodice pieces (because that extra tab on the top normally becomes you back neckline, but I didn't need that.
Then I folded it on the neckline fold guide at the shoulder to blend that edge in to neckline. In general, I wanted that extra inch of fabric, I just didn't want it at the shoulder.
I used the cross over pattern markings to determine how far over to go with the tie, and where to start attaching the front bodice to the waistband.
Fast and dirty instructions:
Attach front bodice pieces to the back bodice piece at the shoulders. Repeat with lining pieces.
Right sides together, pin the neckline of the bodice to the neckline of the lining. Sew.
Turn right sides out and press.
Use the burrito roll method to finish the arms
Sew the side seams: flip the sides so that front and back lining and front and back bodice are both right sides together. Sew. Repeat for the other side.
Now your bodice is complete! Attach the waistband. Sandwich the bodice between the two waistband layers (raw edges of waistband and raw edges of the bodice aligned. For most of the time, you'll be sewing through all four layers, except for front and center, where you'll just be sewing through the two layers of the waistband.
After sewing, flip your waistband pieces down. All the raw edges of your bodice should be encased in that waistband seam.
On hindsight, I also would have used tank lines on another pattern to adjust the armscyes, but I didn't think of that until it was too late. You can do that though.
And despite that, I love the finished outcome!
Make sure you pop over to Just That Nifty and check all the awesome, totally original prints! The preorder is closing soon (besides bamboo Lycra, there's a cotton lycra, swim, and a french terry!) so make sure you hurry over. I cannot say enough good things about this fabric; I'm all about Keanna's mission and am so happy to be supporting her along the way!